In composing college essays, creating a conclusion is like fitting the last piece of a complex puzzle, ensuring your essay leaves a memorable mark.The significance of a strong conclusion lies in its ability to not only reaffirm your essay's central theme but also to resonate with your readers, leaving a mark that endures.
Why, then, is it imperative to master this art? A robust conclusion serves as the crescendo to your narrative, summarizing your key arguments and their supporting evidence, ultimately persuading your audience.
Within this concise guide, we'll explore the essentials of concluding a college essay with finesse, offering insight into effective techniques and providing examples that illustrate the craft. Moreover, we'll navigate the treacherous waters of common pitfalls to avoid, ensuring your conclusion shines in all its uniqueness. So, let's embark on this journey to empower your essays with unforgettable endings.
Why is it important to write a strong conclusion?
A strong conclusion is important because it can:
- Reinforce your argument and persuade your reader. A good conclusion should remind your reader of your main claim and how you have supported it with evidence throughout your essay. It should also show how your argument is relevant to the broader context and why it matters.
- Leave a lasting impression and spark interest. A good conclusion should end with a memorable sentence that captures the essence of your essay and makes your reader think. It can also invite your reader to explore the topic further, ask a question, or take action.
- Demonstrate your writing skills and academic integrity. A good conclusion should be clear, concise, and coherent. It should also avoid plagiarism, new information, and emotional appeals that are out of character with the rest of your essay.
What is the Purpose of Your College Admission Essay Conclusion?
A compelling conclusion for your college essay is your ultimate opportunity to make a profound impact on the admissions officers. It's the place to bring your thoughts together, reiterate your thesis, and leave a lasting impression.
A well-crafted conclusion serves several purposes:
- Tying It All Together: It unifies your essay, leaving a coherent and unified impression.
- Reinforcement: It reinforces your key arguments and makes your thesis statement unforgettable.
- Ending Strong: It wraps up your essay on a strong and positive note.
How to End Your College Application Essay - Key Steps To Consider
Here are some strategies to create a compelling closing for your college essay, keeping it engaging, emotionally charged, and distinctive:
Avoid the Mundane SummarySpare admissions officers the repetition; they've already journeyed through your essay. Instead, leave them pondering. Reflect on the profound lessons you've gained from your experiences, or discuss your ambitions and how your education will be the bridge to reaching them. Challenge your reader with a thought-provoking question or share a personal anecdote that illuminates your unique perspective.
Restate Your Thesis CreativelyWhile restating your thesis, avoid the humdrum repetition of words. Instead, offer a fresh perspective. Maybe use an analogy or metaphor to paint your point vividly or place your thesis statement in the context of your future aspirations. Leave the reader with a compelling question that delves deeper into your thesis statement.
End with a Call to ActionInspire action or reflection. Express your unwavering commitment to making a significant impact on the world. Share your genuine excitement about the prospect of learning and evolving at the college you're aspiring to join. Challenge the admissions officers to reconsider your essay from a new angle or urge them to delve deeper into your academic interests.
Proofread with PrecisionAs your conclusion is the last impression, ensure it is immaculate in grammar and spelling.
Examples of Effective College Essay Conclusions
Here are some examples of how to wrap up your college essay effectively:
- Example 1
I've discovered that my unwavering drive to succeed is fueled by my profound passion for aiding others. I eagerly anticipate my journey at [college name] to further cultivate the skills and knowledge required to effect positive change in our world.
- Example 2
My time dedicated to the local homeless shelter has illuminated the paramount significance of compassion and empathy. I wholeheartedly pledge to employ my education as a catalyst for enriching the lives of others.
- Example 3
My unceasing thirst for knowledge has been a constant companion in my life's voyage. I am enthusiastic about the intellectual challenges that await me at [college name], poised to both expand my horizons and evolve as an individual.
What are Some Common Mistakes to Avoid when Writing a College Essay Conclusion?
There are some common mistakes that can weaken your conclusion and undermine your essay. Here are some of them:
- Stating the thesis for the very first time in the conclusion: Your thesis should be introduced in the introduction, not in the conclusion. The conclusion should restate your thesis in a different way, but not introduce a new one.
- Introducing a new idea or subtopic in your conclusion: Your conclusion should not bring up any new information that was not discussed in the body paragraphs. It should only summarize and synthesize the main points of your essay.
- Ending with a rephrased thesis statement without any substantive changes: Your conclusion should not just repeat your thesis word for word. It should show how you have proven your thesis, how it relates to the broader context, and why it matters.
- Making sentimental, emotional appeals that are out of character with the rest of an analytical paper: Your conclusion should match the tone and style of your essay. If your essay is analytical, logical, and evidence-based, your conclusion should not suddenly become emotional, personal, or subjective.
Useful Tips for concluding a college essay
An exceptional conclusion for your college essay demands finesse. Here are some valuable tips:
- Avoid Repetition: Steer clear of rehashing your essay. Admissions officers have journeyed through your narrative already; no need to recapitulate. Instead, aim to provoke their thoughts.
- Rephrase Your Thesis: Restating your thesis can help maintain a clear structure but do so creatively. Find fresh angles or use inventive language to recapture the essence of your main point.
- Conclude with a Provocative Note: Wrap up with a compelling thought. Share your aspirations or pose a challenging question that beckons admissions officers to introspect. Craft a call to action that resonates, whether it's your commitment to change the world, your enthusiasm for learning, or an invitation to delve deeper into your interests.
In this manner, your college essay conclusion will captivate readers with its engaging style, activate their emotions, and resonate as an impeccable finale.
Is Ending Your Common App Essay Different?
Yes, ending your Common App essay is different from ending a typical academic essay. The Common App essay is not just a formal piece of writing that showcases your skills and knowledge; it is also a personal statement that reveals your personality, voice, and character. Therefore, the conclusion of your Common App essay should not simply summarize your main points or restate your thesis; it should leave a lasting impression on the reader and convey a sense of who you are and what you value.
Here are some possible ways to end your Common App essay effectively:
- Connect your conclusion to your introduction. You can do this by revisiting a theme, question, anecdote, or quotation that you introduced in your opening paragraph.
- Reflect on your growth or learning. You can do this by highlighting a specific moment, challenge, or accomplishment that demonstrates your personal growth or learning.
- Project your future or goals. You can do this by explaining how your experiences or ideas have prepared you or motivated you for your chosen path or field.
- End with a memorable or impactful sentence. You can do this by using a creative, humorous, or emotional tone, or by using a rhetorical device such as a question, a call to action, or a powerful image.
Concluding Thoughts on College Essay Conclusion
When it comes to crafting an unforgettable college essay, always remember that the closing lines offer your last chance to make a profound impression on the admissions committee. At MyPremiumEssay, we understand the significance of a compelling conclusion. Our proficient writers are committed to assisting you in making those final words count, ensuring your essay tells a captivating story of your distinct journey and aspirations.
As you approach the concluding paragraphs of your college essay, trust MyPremiumEssay to help you secure your coveted spot in your dream institution. You can purchase an essay online to let your narrative shine, and witness your future unfolding before you.
Answers to FAQ on How to End Your College Application Essay
Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about how to end a college application essay.
1. How Do You Conclude a College Essay?
The end of your college essay should be strong, clear, and impactful. You can talk about your future goals, end in a moment of action, what you’ve learned, or go full circle. Whatever method you choose, make sure to avoid summarizing your essay.
2. What Is a Good Closing Sentence For An Essay?
A good closing sentence on your college essay is impactful, meaningful, and makes the reader think. You’ll want to ensure the reader remembers your essay, so conclude with something unique that ends your story with a bang.
3. What Words Can You Use to End an Essay?
Avoid saying “to conclude,” “to summarize,” or “finally.” Your essay should end on a high note, like the ending of a movie. Think of moving sentences such as “I never saw it coming,” “I’ll always remember what happened,” or “I’ve learned so much since then.”
4. What Should I Avoid in a College Essay Ending?
There are a few common mistakes students tend to make when ending a college essay. You should avoid cliches such as famous quotes or movie references. You should also avoid leaving the reader with any questions or loose ends. Most importantly, your conclusion should end on a positive note. Make sure your ending is hopeful and looks toward the future, don’t focus on the negatives or low points of your story.
Place Your Order